Friday, January 24, 2020

Congratulations Michigan State Representative Brenda Carter and The Passage of House Resolution #123

by Kenny Anderson

On January 23rd, 2020 Brenda Carter democratic State House of Representative stood on the Michigan House floor and witnessed the passing of her House Resolution #123 that encourages US Congressional support to fund programs for minority maternal health. Standing there as the resolution passed Rep Carter stated:

"Yesterday I stood on the House floor in memory of my grandmother. My grandmother passed away at 57 years old. I stood in memory of my mother, who passed away at 59 years old. I remembered my two sisters who did not live to see 30. I wrote the resolution in memory of my son."



"My mother died a painful death, which was preventable. If only she knew, if only there were programs to support her, I would not have been both motherless and fatherless at 30 years old. Thank you, Michigan House of Representatives, for honoring the memory of my parents, my sisters, and my son by passing House Resolution 123."

Representative Carter stated that I inspired her in developing House Resolution #123. My inspiration to Rep Carter was well over a year ago when the both of us attended a veterans health program and I approached her after the event and said I needed her ongoing support in my Black Hearts Matter initiative to reduce racial health disparity especially heart disease.

I shared with Rep Carter that in Pontiac when you hear about the cause of deaths of Black people you know over 45 years of age it’s generally from chronic diseases 'specifically heart disease'. I shared with her that recent data from the American Heart Association showed that 48% of Black women 20 and older have heart disease, while 44% of Black men 20 and older have heart disease. Black women have a 31% death rate from heart disease while Black men have a 34% death rate. I shared with her that a recent study revealed that before age 50 Blacks heart rate failure rate is 20 times higher than that of whites.

I'll never forget sharing this Black heart disease data with Rep Carter, telling her with committed health prevention efforts we can prevent premature Black deaths; then all of sudden she began weeping, a real 'heartfelt weep' stating sorrowfully that preventative health could have saved her mother's life. From this conversation Rep Carter showed me she was on a mission to do everything she could do to reduce racial heath disparities in the state of Michigan and across the country.

Rep Carter knew when she began being an advocate on behalf of improving Black health it had to be a team effort; so she brought me together with Jermaine Branner and recognized our community efforts to improve Black health; she also brought Bill Maxey to the table whose been advocating for veterans health for years along with others.

Rep Carter understood the team approach had no 'big I' but 'We'; she knew if she wanted to move from communicating with citizens to engaging them in team leadership and decision making her focus had to be a non-traditional approach of sharing governing responsibilities with them. 


From closely working with State Representative Brenda Carter the following progressive leadership characteristics are what from my perspective enabled Rep Carter to get her resolution #123 passed:

*A visionary and passionate leader.

*A values-driven leader with integrity.

*A champion of democratic governance and community first participation.

*A communicator effectively connecting with her constituents, constantly providing updates and feedback.

*A team-player who knows her limitations and respects community leaders expertise and leadership.

*A faithful leader who believes in the issues she advocates 'fights' for such as minority health equity.

*A responsible leader whose open for frank constructive criticism and embraces accountability.

*A collaborative leader who recognizes the ability to work with Republicans to get legislation passed.

*A sense of disciplined follow-through to achieve goals


Congratulations State Representative Brenda Carter for your dedicated advocacy to get your House Resolution #123 passed. Yes we know this is a team success but in your forum you are the face of the team; your success is our 'the community's' success and thank you for representing our health equity issue well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Report on Medical Access Finds One-Third of Black Americans Live in ‘Cardiology Deserts’

by Elaine Chen Many Black Americans would have to travel across county lines just to find an open spot with a cardiologist, a new analysis...